Friday, May 1, 2015

Compagnie-M Louisa Dress

This is the Louisa Dress by Compagnie-M, which I made for my god-daughter's second birthday. 


I downloaded the PDF - the instructions were really clear, and I didn't make any adjustments. It was my first go at piping, and at lining, which really tested my patience! I could NOT work it out for a while, but once I got it, it came together fine. 


I used old Liberty fabrics that had been in my mum's stash and are now in mine. I thought that this would be really quick to sew up, being so small. But the smallness actually made it harder in many ways. Setting in the sleeves, sewing round the neckline and dealing with the lining all felt difficult to me because of the small scale. 


Although I think the pattern is really beautiful (the versions on Pinterest are gorgeous), and I hope the dress gets wear, the experience hasn't made me want to sew more children's clothes. It has felt like a lot of work for something that will be grown out of fairly sharpish. I found myself being a bit lazy with seam finishing and pressing, because I kept thinking "oh well she won't be able to wear it for THAT long", which is obviously a bad attitude... we'll see, but it's back to grown up sewing for me, for now! 

(Though I do want to print my own fabrics at some point, in which case I might re-embrace children's dress patterns!)



No comments:

Post a Comment